I can see there’ll be A LOT of eye rolling at this. Quick breakfasts.
“I’m far too busy for breakfast”
“YOU try getting your family out on time AND make and eat a healthy breakfast”
“You gotta be kidding me”
I’ve heard them all, when I suggest that breakfast is kinda important.
Important for women. Everyone, in fact.
Important for blood sugar, energy, mood, brain power, weight and hormones. And MORE. Learn the benefits of breakfast here in this fab blog.
But I get it. I too have to wear my pants on the outside of my tights in the morning …
… making Mr P a quick cuppa and a small protein packed smoothie
… making him a really good lunch on the days he’s at his office (his coworkers snicker at his non BPA tubs of fresh goodies)
… shoving him into the car and pointing him the railway station /his office
… walking mutts
… feeding mutts
… emptying the dishwasher
… tidying kitchen
… thinking about dinner
… getting myself ready
… making the bed
… gathering my work
… eating my own quick breakfasts
… cramming washing into the machine
… YOU get the picture. You feel like you’ve done a days work and it’s not even close to 9am.
I do understand that it’s so much easier to..
a) Have NO breakfast, just wash and go
b) Just slurp down a mug of coffee as big as your head
c) Wind in a doorstep of white toast with margarine and a big fat dollop of sugary jam
It doesn’t have to be this way. There are quick breakfasts that are nutritious breakfasts.
Here are some of my own go-to quick breakfast. Perfect for busy women. Vary your brekkie for nutrition and to avoid getting stuck in a breakfast rut.
Overnight Oats 1 Serving
This is easy peasy and you can pimp it up how you like. No cooking and it’s really filling. Even kids will eat this. And oats are pretty cheap. You can even take this to work with you!
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (organic ideally)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup (depends how thick you like it) organic milk or non dairy milk e.g. I love almond milk in mine
- 1/3 cup plain organic Greek yogurt OR a little extra milk OR Cashew Cream (whatever you prefer)
- Buy yourself a kilner jar or other pretty jar … because you’re soooo worth it. And we eat with our eyes too.
- Shove the ingredients into the jar and soak them in the fridge overnight for the magic to happen.
- Get creative! You can add 1/2 chopped banana or 1/3 cup fruit or fruit puree, chopped nuts, seeds, shredded unsweetened coconut, dried fruits, nut butter, maca powder stirred in (hormone balancing), cacao nibs/a little grated dark chocolate/stir in some cacao powder or even spices like a pinch of cinnamon or a little vanilla paste. If you need a little extra sweetness honey or maple syrup or date paste is good.
- Scoop it down with a smug look on your face knowing it took less than 5 minutes and it’s doing you the power of good
Chia Seed Pudding 2 -3 Servings
Another super simple one you can take with you. You’ll find chia seeds at health stores or online. They are more pricey. But are protein, fibre and nutrient packed little powerhouses.
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic milk or non dairy milk e.g. almond milk, coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup or honey, to taste
- Grab your cute kilner jar.
- Shove the ingredients into the jar, STIR REALLY WELL and soak them in the fridge overnight for the magic to happen.
- Go go go with the toppings again!
Note: it’s really yummy with coconut milk and tropical fruits with coconut shards and chopped nuts. OR make it chocolatey with cacao powder, some cinnamon and a little vanilla.
Avocado Toast 1 Serving
I know it’s toast. Yay! But not just any old toast. It’s important to get good bread. Not the usual supermarket stuff. Read the truth about your supermarket loaf … even the ones marketed as healthy and wholegrain!
I prefer sourdough as it’s natural yeasts and left to prove of a longer time, so easier to digest and full of flavour. Sure, it will cost more money. If your budget is tight, buy it when its cheap and freeze it. Or make your own at the weekends and freeze it. Mr P makes 6 loaves at a time and freezes them.
- 1-2 slices sourdough bread toasted or another healthy loaf from a bakers
- 1 small avocado
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice
- A sprinkle of chopped red chilli and fresh coriander (optional)
- Make your toast
- Smoosh up your avocado all over the toast
- Top with a drizzle of oil and lemon or lime juice.
- Sprinkle with chilli and herbs if you’re using them.
- Scoff down. The crunchy toast with the creaminess of the avocado is delicious.
Sometimes, I sprinkle my avotoast with a tiny crumble of organic feta and a grind of pepper instead of chilli end herbs. Feta adds protein.
Smoothie 1 Serving
Play around and make some blends that you love! This is a basic guide to making your own recipes.
- 2/3rds mug liquid – choose from organic milk, non dairy milk, coconut water, juice, yoghurt, kefir …
- 3/4 mug fruit – choose from banana, berries, mango, stone fruit, melon ….
- 1 tbs protein – choose from organic yoghurt, cashew nuts, chia seeds, nut butter, ground flax seeds, organic protein powder, quinoa flakes …
- Make sure it has some healthy fats e.g cashews, nut butter, chia seed, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, ground flax seeds …
- To go “green” add a handful of spinach leaves or other greenery (spinach has less flavour so easier to “hide”)
- Pimp it up with some superfoods like maca (hormone balancing), “greens” powders, spices like vanilla or cinnamon, cocoa/cacao powder …
Whizz it all up in a blender or food processor. I use my Froothie blender for mine .
It takes longer to wash up the blender than to make these super dooper quick breakfasts.
I have my Kapow Chocolate Chilli Smoothie recipe here.
Buckwheat Pancakes 2 Large or 4 Smaller Servings
I know pancakes takes yonks eh?
Well these DO take longer than 5 minutes to make and cook, but guess what? I make them on a Sunday and freeze them for the week ahead and then you could warm them in the toaster or microwave them (I prefer not to microwave, so toaster zap them).
Watch me making my pancakes right here – the ingredients and method are also included.
So come on lovely ladies, give some of these quick breakfasts a go. You won’t look back. Your health, hormones, energy levels and happiness with thank you for it. Your family may even thank you.
If you try any recipes, post a picture on my Facebook page and let me know how you get on. I love to see your ideas and creations too.